Thursday, October 17, 2013

Character Bios: Adiana, Nadia, and

It's time to meet a few more amazing characters! 

Today we have Adiana from Karin Rita Gastreich's fantasy novel, "Eolyn," Nadia from Melinda Dozier's novel "Love and Other Games: Trouble with Gold," and Jack from HL Carpenter's "Jack and the Fountain of Youth." 

Adiana of Selkynsen

From Eolyn and High Maga
Karin Rita Gastreich

Adiana’s parents, wealthy merchants from the province of Selkynsen, recognized her talent for music early on. At that time, women of education were being persecuted as the Mage King sought to purge his land of the Magas. Though Adiana was not a maga, her parents feared knowledge of music would make her vulnerable.

Confident the tide of violence would pass, they sent young Adiana to a neighboring kingdom to complete her studies.  While Adiana was away, the purges claimed her parents. Her mother was burned at the stake and her father beheaded. Adiana found herself orphaned, denied of her inheritance, and left to fend for herself.

Adiana’s fate turned for the better thanks to her father’s former steward, who rescued Adiana from withering prostitution and took her in as his own daughter.  Some years later, Mage Corey recruited Adiana into his Circle, where she established herself as his most valued musician. 

A close friend of Eolyn, Adiana becomes a leading figure in my second novel High Maga. Though war separates musician from maga, their paths remain connected. Adiana does not command magic like her friend, but her extraordinary music confers its own power, bringing her both salvation and doom.  

Author Bio:

KARIN RITA GASTREICH lives in Kansas City and Costa Rica. A member of the biology faculty at Avila University, her past times include camping, hiking, music, and flamenco dance.  Karin's first fantasy novel, EOLYN, was released by Hadley Rille Books in 2011, and was nominated for the 2012 Thorpe Menn Literary Excellence Award.  The companion novel, HIGH MAGA, will be released in April 2014. Karin’s short stories have appeared in Zahir, Adventures for the Average Woman, 69 Flavors of Paranoia, and A Visitor to Sandahl.   She is a recipient of the Spring 2011 Andrews Forest Writer’s Residency. Follow Karin’s adventures into fantastic worlds, both real and imagined, at http://eolynchronicles.blogspot.com and at http://heroinesoffantasy.blogspot.com

Blog Heroines of Fantasy:  http://heroinesoffantasy.blogspot.com
Twitter:  @EolynChronicles



Nadia

From: Love and Other Games: Trouble with Gold
Melinda Dozier

Name: Nadia Hoffman

Nickname given by Ty (the hero): Lucky Charm/Lucky Lady

Age: 25

Nationality: Swiss

Occupation: Event Planner at Swiss Sports Association

Hair Color: Blonde
Hair Style: Long, layered
Eyes: Blue
Clothes: Work uniform, per staff handbook; off work she prefers to wear Jeans, Uggs and a big toasty sweater.

Quirk: Don’t tell anyone, but she wears days of the week panties!

Greatest Fear: To disappoint her father.

Pet Peeve: Hates tardiness.

Life Goals: Earn a position at the Olympics Committee Headquarters in Lucerne, Switzerland.

Skills and talents: Although Nadia isn’t a top athlete, she has been an award-winning skier in college. She also is known for her organizational and planning skills.

Excerpt:

 “So, where are you from, Nadia?” He scooted to the edge of the settee so that their knees touched.
She held out her hands and smiled. “Switzerland.”
“Home country, then? I could learn a lot from you.” He rubbed his chin. “Let me guess your sport … You have a classic look about you, like a ballerina … Figure skating?”
She lowered her head and batted her lashes. “No, I’m not a figure skater.”
“Well, you do have that ice queen appearance —”
“I beg your pardon?” She pulled her knees away from his. “I’m not an ice queen.”
“No, I didn’t mean it like that.” Shit. There he went and put his foot in his mouth. “It’s a good thing. You have that perfect lean body and you’re well poised – like someone on the ice.” Shit. He ran his hand over his forehead. Just when he was making some headway into getting to know her.

More information can be found at www.melindadozier.com

Love and Other Games is available at Amazon, B&N and Kobo.



Name: Jack Ponsi Dileonardo Thomas

Age: You wouldn’t believe me
Occupation: That’s sort of difficult to answer. I’m kind of undercover.
Appearance: I look like an average guy.
Jack and The Fountain of Youth
by HL Carpenter

[Jack puts down his pencil.] Look, HL, can you please just interview me? This is kind of—I really don’t like talking about myself so much.
HL: But Jack, even if we interview you, you’ll have to talk about yourself.
Jack: We could talk about Nessa. , that is a great idea. Nessa is beautiful, and smart, and she—
HL: We like Nessa, too. What do you suppose she sees in you that makes her believe your story?
Jack: Story? That sounds like I made the whole thing up. I didn’t. I really am five hundred years old, and I really did come to Florida the first time with Juan Ponce de León. And I really did find fabled fuente, and I really did take a drink, which is why I really am five hundred years old. It’s all true. It’s not a story.
HL: We believe you. That’s why we wanted to write your story—ummm, that’s why we wanted to  write about you and Nessa.
Jack: So what’s the question?
HL: Ummm...
Jack: . Let’s talk about Nessa.
HL: Okay. You and Nessa were both concealing big secrets when you met, and you both had to take a big risk. What made you willing to do that?
Jack: Nessa’s worth any risk. I would brave a hurricane if I thought I could win her love.
HL: If you could change one thing about the way it all worked out, what would it be?
Jack: That Nessa could have met my sister, Maria. They are much alike, and they would have been great friends.
HL: What are you most grateful for?
Jack: That Nessa will have the opportunity to get to know my Tia Bella.
HL: Is there anything else you’d like us to ask?
Jack: No, that’s enough talk about me. Now I have a question for you. What do you know about rabbits?
HL: We loved one once. Why do you ask?
Jack: Because Nessa’s rabbit, Harey, doesn’t like me. I need to know what to do to get on his good side.
HL: Make Nessa happy. That should make Harey happy, too.
Jack: I can do that. [Jack smiles and stands up.] I need to pick up Tia Bella from the airport. Come by Nessa’s later, HL. You’ll want to see how the story turns out. Bring your friends, too.
HL: Thanks for the invitation, Jack. We’ll see you there.

====

Author Bio:
HL Carpenter is a Florida-based mother/daughter duo who writes from their home in Carpenter Country, a magical place that, like their stories, is unreal but not untrue. When they’re not writing, the Carpenters enjoy exploring the Land of What-If and practicing the fine art of Curiosity.

 Book Buy Link:

Other Works:
The SkyHorse, a young adult novel published by Musa Publishing.
Tovi thinks finding a flying horse is fabulous luck—until a mysterious stranger says finders aren’t always keepers.

Contact info:
Author email: HL_Carpenter –at- HLCarpenter.com

12 comments:

  1. Thanks, DelSheree, for the opportunity to participate! You've sure been doing a lot of work, and we appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you or sharing your character with us! I'm so pleased to get to know new authors and books this month!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for hosting the Blog Fest, DelSheree! This has been a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great bios! I have so enjoyed the blog fest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only met one of these characters, Adiana, and it saddens me to read this. No spoilers - but I know first hand that Adiana is a beautiful, kind, loyal and loving person. I've seen her laugh, cry, and suffer greatly. The word Karin pens is amazing.

    I enjoyed the posts - as always, thank you Sheree for your support. I'm really enjoying the blog fest this year. This was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree about Adiana. She is a beautifully written character. I absolutely adore Karin writing.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Susan and DelSheree! Adiana is very close to my heart. There's so much more about her story that I'd like to share and talk about, but I guess we'll have to wait until the new novel is out next spring. :)

      This has been such a fun activity, DelSheree. Thank you for hosting and organizing everything.

      Delete