Friday, August 22, 2014

#TensList: Top ten talents you didn't know I had

I get a lot of crap from friends and family for being able to do too many things. Really, I just have a short attention span and a love for collecting hobbies. BUT... here are a few talents you probably didn't know I had :) 


#1: Being clumsy.


I trip over things all the times, and slip on the stairs, and bump into things. I don't know if I'm just not paying attention, or I'm in too big of a hurry, or what, but I have perfected the art of being clumsy. 

#2: Closing kitchen cabinets. 


This must be a talent, and I must be the only one in my house who has it. I can normally walk into my kitchen on any given day, and any given time of the day and find at least two kitchen cabinets open. How do I teach this talent to the rest of the house? 

#3: Finding random things. 


This really is a talent. Unless it's my own car keys, I am usually the one who ends up finding whatever it is that went missing. It's usually in plain sight, so I'm not sure how talented I really am at this, but you get the point. 

#4: Killing plants. 


I'm a really bad gardener, which is a shame because I love flowers. At least half the plants in our front yard die every year, and less than half of what I plant in the backyard actually grows, and I typically do a pretty good job of killing at least half of what does grow. Mums and yuccas seem to be about the only things I can grow consistently, and even the yuccas are tricky. I've killed several. 

#5: Losing important papers.


I swear I put them where they'll be safe, but they get up and walk away. I once lost our tickets to go see The Lion King at UNM. I still have no idea where they went. I put them in the black box... and they vanished. I had to go pick up new ones at the UNM ticket office in Albuquerque. 

#6: Being terrible at pool. 


This must be a talent when my seven-year-old can beat me. I have no excuse, since I used to play a lot when I was a teen, but I'm just really bad at pool. Actually, I'm pretty terrible at any sport involving a ball of some kind. 

#7: Insomnia. 


This probably isn't really a talent, but I've certainly developed it as much as any talent. I frequently have trouble getting to sleep. It gives me quiet time to works on plots or dialog as I lay there staring at the ceiling, but it would be nice to just fall asleep once in a while. 

#8: Falling off things in video games. 


I don't like games that make you fight on ledges, or walk across beams. I will fall off and die pretty much every time. It's like somehow my questionable balancing skills in real life get zapped into my avatar as soon as I pick up a controller. 

#9: Crimping hair. 


I know this is not a currently fashionable talent, but what can I say. I spent a lot of time crimping my hair when I was a teen (and that was in the early 2000s, so it wasn't exactly high fashion then either, but I made it work). Now, my daughter loves to have her hair crimped, so it's still a useful talent to have! 

#10: Drawing straight lines. 


If you don't think this is a talent, you've never had to consistently draw straight lines. As an art major (before becoming a dental hygienist), I had to draw plenty of straight lines, and it's tougher than you might think. I owe this uncommonly handy talent to my favorite art teacher, Bill Hatch, who explained that you have to use your whole arm when you paint and draw, not just your fingers. If you don't agree, go try it. Draw ten really straight lines. No cheating! It's not as easy as it looks :) 

What funky hidden talents do you have?


No comments:

Post a Comment